A urinary tract infection (UTI) is an infection in any area of the urinary tract, the urethra, bladder, or ureters. Most commonly, it is an infection of the bladder. If the infection is left untreated, it can become complicated and cause kidney infection. Infection along the urinary tract typically arises from bacteria traveling into the urinary system from the urethral opening.
Diagnosis is typically made by urinalysis, and bacterial strain differentiation can be made by culturing the bacteria isolated in the laboratory.
UTI Clear (formerly Uritrin®)
Take 2 mL, three times daily in a little water on an empty stomach. Take a few hours before or after taking other medications. Symptoms should improve within 2-7 days.
This herbal combination is formulated for those with urinary tract infections (cystitis or urethritis) or with a tendency to develop such infections. Goldenrod sets the tone of this formula, with its strong anti-inflammatory and antiseptic qualities specifically directed to the urinary tract. All of the ingredients act as diuretics, with the exception of echinacea, which reinforces the antimicrobial dimension of this combination. While they may overlap, the remaining ingredients provide a unique therapeutic advantage in the context of the urinary tract.
UTI cleanse contains:
- Dandelion for its potent diuretic action
- Juniper as a diuretic and antimicrobial
- Echinacea for its demonstrable antibacterial and antiviral properties, and its action as an immune booster
- Golden Rod as an anti-inflammatory urinary tract antiseptic
- Hydrangea as a diuretic and antilithic
- Marshmallow as an antiseptic and demulcent herb containing large amounts of mucilage that soothes inflammation of the genito-urinary tract
- Horsetail as a tonic, diuretic, and astringent
- Yarrow as a diuretic and a urinary tract antiseptic
Other combinations to consider:
- Analgesic and demulcent Acidux®
- Prostate tonic® for cystitis and urethritis associated with prostate enlargement and dysuria
- Deep Immune® for a chronic tendency to develop infections of the urinary tract and for general stimulation of overall immunity
- Echinaseal® as adjunctive therapy for acute infections of the urinary tract
Take these steps to reduce your risk of urinary tract infections:
- Drink plenty of liquids, especially water. Drinking water helps dilute your urine and ensures that you’ll urinate more frequently, allowing bacteria to be flushed from your urinary tract before an infection can begin.
- Drink cranberry juice. Although studies are inconclusive that cranberry juice prevents UTIs, it is likely not harmful.
- Wipe from front to back. Doing so after urinating and after a bowel movement helps prevent bacteria in the anal region from spreading to the vagina and urethra.
- Empty your bladder soon after intercourse. Also, drink a full glass of water to help flush bacteria.
- Avoid potentially irritating feminine products. Using deodorant sprays or other feminine products such as douches and powders in the genital area can irritate the urethra.
- Consider changing your birth control method. Diaphragms, or unlubricated or spermicide-treated condoms can all contribute to bacterial growth.