The Fullscript Integrative Medical Advisory team has developed or collected these protocols from practitioners and supplier partners to help health care practitioners make decisions when building treatment plans. By adding this protocol to your Fullscript template library, you understand and accept that the recommendations in the protocol are for initial guidance and may not be appropriate for every patient.
Total Protocol Duration: 7 weeks
Pro GSH Boost
2 capsules, 2 times daily on an empty stomach, week 1 to 6
Description: Promotes local glutathione formation, hepatoprotection, and supports liver function in removal of immune complexes.
1-2 soft gels, 3 times daily, week 2 to 6. Start with 1 soft gel 3 times a day and increase to 2 soft gels during weeks 2 to 4 if tolerated
Description: Contains essential oils of peppermint, oregano, and thyme, which acts as a broad spectrum for antimicrobial, anti-fungal, and anti-spasmodic activity.
2 capsules, 2 times per day on an empty stomach for 2 weeks, week 2 to 6
Description: The “king of bitters.” Anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, anti-parasitic and anti-viral. Reduces dysentery and intestinal mucus. Increase brush border enzyme secretion.
Pro GI Repair
1 scoop, 2 times daily before food (mix in 250mL of liquid on an empty stomach), week 6 and 7
Description: GI anti-inflammatory and promotes the healing of mucosa B. LongumBB536 strain studied to reduce dysbiosis. Restores tight junction integrity.
1 capsule, 3 times daily with food, week 6 and 7
Description: Studied combination of probiotics that promote butyrate production, bifidobacterium growth and reduce intestinal pH.
Optional: Vitamin C or Pro Vitamin C
Increase to bowel tolerance and maintenance below threshold, week 1 to 4
Description: Promotes GI purging, mucosal immunity, redox balance, and reduces microbial adhesion.
1 to 6 lozenges daily (with ample water on an empty stomach, 2 hours away from medications) for 4 to 8 weeks, week 6+
Description: Xylo-oligosaccharide (XOS) is a prebiotic fibre. Promotes growth of Bifidobacterium and other commensal bacteria. Supports regulation of motility. Safe for long term use in adults and kids.
The following may be considered according to requirements for additional support:
- Consider adding Allicin (450 mg) BID for Small Intestinal Fungal Overgrowth (SIFO) or methane/hydrogen sulphide positive Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO), typically seen with IBS-C.
- To prevent microbial resistance, consider rotating Pro Andrographic, Pro DysbioX, or a berberine based formula every 4 days during the 4-week antimicrobial protocol.
- Implement low residue diet AFTER eradication phase. Starting this diet while on treatment decreases bacterial growth, which reduces the anti-microbial effect of botanicals.
- Anti-microbial protocol can be repeated every 4 to 8 weeks until symptoms resolve.
- Maintenance (week 6 and 7) can be used for up to 3 months to enhance repair.
- Always consider possible underlying causes of dysbiosis:
- Low gastric HCL levels; evaluation for H. pyloriAB; consider chronic PPI or antacid use; consider chronic SNS upregulation and PNS suppression
- Pancreatic insufficiency
- Chronic NSAID use, which causes gastric erosion and altered microbial growth
- Consider chronic exposure or infections, such as mycotoxicity, which leads to compromised immunity
AOR Professional not available in retail health-food stores or online to the general public