The Fullscript Integrative Medical Advisory team has developed or collected these protocols from practitioners and supplier partners to help health care practitioners make decisions when building treatment plans. By adding this protocol to your Fullscript template library, you understand and accept that the recommendations in the protocol are for initial guidance and may not be appropriate for every patient.
Total Protocol Duration: 7 weeks
Pro GSH Boost
2 capsules, 2 times daily on an empty stomach, week 1 to 6
Description: Promotes local glutathione formation, hepatoprotection, and supports liver function in removal of immune complexes.
1-2 soft gels, 3 times daily, week 2 to 6. Start with 1 soft gel 3 times a day and increase to 2 soft gels during weeks 2 to 4 if tolerated
Description: Contains essential oils of peppermint, oregano, and thyme, which acts as a broad spectrum for antimicrobial, anti-fungal, and anti-spasmodic activity.
2 capsules, 2 times per day on an empty stomach for 2 weeks, week 2 to 6
Description: The “king of bitters.” Anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, anti-parasitic and anti-viral. Reduces dysentery and intestinal mucus. Increase brush border enzyme secretion.
Pro GI Repair
1 scoop, 2 times daily before food (mix in 250mL of liquid on an empty stomach), week 6 and 7
Description: GI anti-inflammatory and promotes the healing of mucosa B. LongumBB536 strain studied to reduce dysbiosis. Restores tight junction integrity.
1 capsule, 3 times daily with food, week 6 and 7
Description: Studied combination of probiotics that promote butyrate production, bifidobacterium growth and reduce intestinal pH.
Optional: Vitamin C or Pro Vitamin C
Increase to bowel tolerance and maintenance below threshold, week 1 to 4
Description: Promotes GI purging, mucosal immunity, redox balance, and reduces microbial adhesion.
1 to 6 lozenges daily (with ample water on an empty stomach, 2 hours away from medications) for 4 to 8 weeks, week 6+
Description: Xylo-oligosaccharide (XOS) is a prebiotic fibre. Promotes growth of Bifidobacterium and other commensal bacteria. Supports regulation of motility. Safe for long term use in adults and kids.
The following may be considered according to requirements for additional support:
- Consider adding Allicin (450 mg) BID for Small Intestinal Fungal Overgrowth (SIFO) or methane/hydrogen sulphide positive Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO), typically seen with IBS-C.
- To prevent microbial resistance, consider rotating Pro Andrographic, Pro DysbioX, or a berberine based formula every 4 days during the 4-week antimicrobial protocol.
- Implement low residue diet AFTER eradication phase. Starting this diet while on treatment decreases bacterial growth, which reduces the anti-microbial effect of botanicals.
- Anti-microbial protocol can be repeated every 4 to 8 weeks until symptoms resolve.
- Maintenance (week 6 and 7) can be used for up to 3 months to enhance repair.
- Always consider possible underlying causes of dysbiosis:
- Low gastric HCL levels; evaluation for H. pyloriAB; consider chronic PPI or antacid use; consider chronic SNS upregulation and PNS suppression
- Pancreatic insufficiency
- Chronic NSAID use, which causes gastric erosion and altered microbial growth
- Consider chronic exposure or infections, such as mycotoxicity, which leads to compromised immunity
AOR Professional not available in retail health-food stores or online to the general public
Fullscript content philosophy
At Fullscript, we are committed to curating accurate, and reliable educational content for practitioners and patients alike. Our educational offerings cover a broad range of topics related to integrative medicine, such as supplement ingredients, diet, lifestyle, and health conditions.
Medically reviewed by expert practitioners and our internal Integrative Medical Advisory team, all Fullscript content adheres to the following guidelines:
- In order to provide unbiased and transparent education, information is based on a research review and obtained from trustworthy sources, such as peer-reviewed articles and government websites. All medical statements are linked to the original reference and all sources of information are disclosed within the article.
- Information about supplements is always based on ingredients. No specific products are mentioned or promoted within educational content.
- A strict policy against plagiarism is maintained; all our content is unique, curated by our team of writers and editors at Fullscript. Attribution to individual writers and editors is clearly stated in each article.
- Resources for patients are intended to be educational and do not replace the relationship between health practitioners and patients. In all content, we clearly recommend that readers refer back to their healthcare practitioners for all health-related questions.
- All content is updated on a regular basis to account for new research and industry trends, and the last update date is listed at the top of every article.
- Potential conflicts of interest are clearly disclosed.