The Fullscript Integrative Medical Advisory team has developed or collected these protocols from practitioners and supplier partners to help health care practitioners make decisions when building treatment plans. By adding this protocol to your Fullscript template library, you understand and accept that the recommendations in the protocol are for initial guidance and may not be appropriate for every patient.
- Catecholamines and estrogens are both eliminated by methylation using the enzymes COMT (catechol-o-methyltransferase). Some people are predisposed to a slow version of COMT, which may influence neurotransmitter and hormone elimination.
- Broccoli extract is shown to increase Glutathione-S-transferase enzymes for phase II detoxification. This is particularly helpful in those genetically predisposed to a reduction in the expression of GST enzymes.
- Consider the size of gallstones before beginning protocol-adult bile duct is 6mm. Stones bigger than this size may become lodged in the duct. Refer for ultrasound prior to treatment.
- In cases of gallstones, consider underlying etiology in lithogenesis, including:
– Infection or dysbiosis
– Hypochlorhydria; gluten intolerance, as gluten impacts CCK signalling
– Estrogen dominance. Estrogen can inhibit bile acids transportation from hepatocytes into bile canaliculi. Consider PRO Estro Support.
– Hyperadrenergic tone is a strong contributor to stone formation as estrogen and catecholamines share the same enzyme* (COMT) for their degradation leading to a ‘bottle neck’ effect
Total Protocol Duration: 12 weeks
1 capsule, twice per day away from food, week 1 to 4
Note: 500mg/cap (= 5000 mg crude extract)
Description: High dose of Phyllanthus niruri. Botanical traditionally used to help dissolve kidney and gallstones. Promotes bile flow and production.
2 capsules, once daily with food, week 1 to 12
Description: Phosphatidylcholine to promote bile acid synthesis and increase solubility of stones
1 softgel, three times per day before food, week 1 to 4
Note: Patient may experience mild mint taste after ingestion which can be reduced by storing the formula in the fridge.
Description: Broad spectrum anti-microbial. Anti-spasmodic-prevents bile duct colic
1 capsule, three times per day away from food, week 1 to 4
- Liver Support II can be used AFTER 1 month of Chanca Peidra for more comprehensive liver support.
- Liver Support II can be used BEFORE Chanca Peidra for 1-2 months for a sensitive patient or those with large gallstones as a gentle preparation with less chance of aggravation.
Description: Comprehensive liver formula containing NAC and sulforaphane precursors.
1 capsule, three times per day with food, week 5 to 12
Note: Can be started on week 5 after Pro DysbioX
Description: Studied combination of probiotics that promote butyrate production, bifidobacterium growth and reduce intestinal pH
Optional: Estro Adapt or Pro Estro Support
1 capsule, twice per day, week 1 to 12
Description: Contains Calcium-D-glucarate, DIM and Broccoli extract (SGS) to promote proper estrogen detoxification and to increase glutathionization
AOR Professional not available in retail health-food stores or online to the general public