- Practice sleep hygiene: Sleep is foundational to mood and cognitive performance. Make sure you’re going to sleep in a cool, dark room and avoid electronics for at least 30 minutes before bed.
- Increase playful movement: Physical activity helps brain health and can feel quite refreshing. Furthermore, studies show that selecting physical activities that are playful, creative, or your preferred form of exercise tend to restore the mind better than exercises you might “think” you need to do, like jogging on a treadmill (unless that brings you joy!).
- Incorporate meditation: Mindfulness practices, gratitude journals, and silencing the mind through meditation are all ways to support mood and cognition by giving the mind time to relax from the chatter within.
- Play brain games: Games like puzzles, sudoku, brain-yoga, and other thought-provoking pastimes routine stimulate different areas of the brain and overall support healthy cognitive function. When in doubt, try something new!
- Add fish or omega-3s: Omega-3 fatty acids have been shown to play a supportive role in brain maintenance and health. Consider replacing a few meals of red meat a week with fish or avocados, nuts, and seeds to help support your body’s overall omega-3 balance.
- Manage caffeine: Many of us enjoy tea or coffee, but try to keep your consumption down to one to two cups per day, preferably in the morning. Too much caffeine taxes the adrenal glands, can cause anxiety, and in excess, can actually hinder our ability to concentrate.
- Stay hydrated: Believe it or not, some concentration and mood issues come strictly from a lack of water in the system. Make sure you are drinking plenty of pure filtered water throughout the day.
- Cut out high sugar drinks: Sugary drinks often come with added caffeine and lead to crashes later in the day. Whenever possible, cut these out to protect yourself from highs and lows.
Optimized supplement plan:
2 capsules twice a day or as directed by a healthcare professional
1 capsule three times a day or as directed by a healthcare professional
1 tablespoon mixed in warm water or a beverage of your choice
Additional enhancing support options:
For post-menopausal specific cognitive and mood support, take 1 capsule per day
DisclaimerView template in-app
Fullscript content philosophy
At Fullscript, we are committed to curating accurate, and reliable educational content for practitioners and patients alike. Our educational offerings cover a broad range of topics related to integrative medicine, such as supplement ingredients, diet, lifestyle, and health conditions.
Medically reviewed by expert practitioners and our internal Integrative Medical Advisory team, all Fullscript content adheres to the following guidelines:
- In order to provide unbiased and transparent education, information is based on a research review and obtained from trustworthy sources, such as peer-reviewed articles and government websites. All medical statements are linked to the original reference and all sources of information are disclosed within the article.
- Information about supplements is always based on ingredients. No specific products are mentioned or promoted within educational content.
- A strict policy against plagiarism is maintained; all our content is unique, curated by our team of writers and editors at Fullscript. Attribution to individual writers and editors is clearly stated in each article.
- Resources for patients are intended to be educational and do not replace the relationship between health practitioners and patients. In all content, we clearly recommend that readers refer back to their healthcare practitioners for all health-related questions.
- All content is updated on a regular basis to account for new research and industry trends, and the last update date is listed at the top of every article.
- Potential conflicts of interest are clearly disclosed.