The Fullscript Integrative Medical Advisory team has developed or collected these protocols from practitioners and supplier partners to help health care practitioners make decisions when building treatment plans. By adding this protocol to your Fullscript template library, you understand and accept that the recommendations in the protocol are for initial guidance and may not be appropriate for every patient.
“If I had a dollar for every new detox program or product….” Right? Beyond being wasteful, these can be unhealthy, and if they reduce the intake of essential nutrients or interact with medications, they can be harmful. This makes it essential for you, the qualified practitioner, to help your patients with understanding their body’s detoxification system and how to give it what it needs to detox better. This protocol reviews what you can share with your patient who needs detoxification support or who comes to you for a detox program. At the end of this protocol, you will find information on how to get better nutrition tools mentioned throughout.
But first the most important reminder for your patients.
“Detoxification is meaningless without better digestion.” – Ashley Koff, RD
Thus, the better first step for any better detoxification protocol is a digestive assessment (you can use The Better Digestive Evaluation as an intake form to easily assess). As indicated, follow up with specific digestive nutrition upgrades (see our other protocols from Ashley Koff RD) or take your patient through a The Better Nutrition Digestive Tune Up (review program here).
The body’s detoxification system would like less work to do! Discuss these interventions with your patients as part of their personalized detoxification plan.
- Bringing less into the home is better. Take shoes off, wipe down bags, computer cases, pet’s feet and other items that may transport toxins into your home more often.
- What touches your body most often? Pillows, washcloths, yoga mats, and our hands – wash with soap and water.
- Sweating is a great way to support the body’s elimination of toxins, and when there is access, an infrared sauna may help support detoxification efforts.
Nutrition Considerations & Recommendations:
It’s important to set the record straight on what the body needs to support its’ detoxification system. Here’s some helpful language from your patients (get the complete patient guide as part of this package of detox assessment tools).
Truth: Your body is detoxifying right now. This very minute. Yes, even if you haven’t been chugging organic cold-pressed green juices all week or adding special powders to your morning smoothies. Don’t believe me? I get it. That’s because you probably hear the word “detox” used a lot of different ways and few are correct. Here’s the deal: We create internal “messes” every day that necessitates detoxification—a.k.a. clean-up work in the body. When you create a mess and don’t clean up, there’s a good chance you’ll get sick more often, feel kind of “meh” all the time, not get the weight-loss results you’re going after, and more. However, your body is a well-designed machine that knows how to detox (read: clean up those messes) on its own. And there are also plenty of ways you can support this genius mechanism.
- Detox Phase 1: It’s all about conversion. This is when the body goes to work to convert toxins into waste to be eliminated. Here’s the funny thing: Sometimes this can be a messy process and create more free radicals (yep, the stuff you’re trying to get rid of), which add to the toxic load that needs to be eliminated. It’s proof that the body’s detox work is never done! However, during this first phase, your bod marks all of the toxins for elimination—think of it like putting all of the stuff that needs cleaning up in your car or your house into boxes and marking it for “trash,” “donation,” or “bring back to the kitchen.”
- Phase 1 Foods: So, what should you eat in order to help your bod rock Detox Phase 1? I’ve got one word for you: plants. Some of my detoxifying favorites are whole grains (that’s right, you don’t have to be gluten-free to detox!), peanuts, seeds (hemp, sesame, and sunflower), avocado, banana, spinach, and all greens. A quality, plant-based diet will always help promote your body’s natural detox system.
- Detox Phase 2: It’s all about elimination. This is when your body starts moving those toxins that were marked for removal. In order to do this, the body actually adds specific nutrients to harmful toxins in order for them to be eliminated. The great part about this phase is that it’s also when the body removes “used” hormones (like estrogen and thyroid hormones), which may reduce your risk of certain cancers.
- Phase 2 Foods: To help the body convert toxins for elimination, get in your broccoli (florets) and other cruciferous vegetables. Choose plant proteins (like hemp seeds), and for calcium enjoy sesame seeds and seaweed. Enjoy shallots, leeks, garlic, and radishes, more often, too.
The Better Nutrition Program Shop of Tools includes the Detox Guide, Rainbow Evaluation & Menu, Mineral Evaluations (magnesium, calcium etc.) and menus, as well as several other tools, help you implement this protocol for individual patients, as well as in group programs in-person or virtually. PLUS thanks to Fullscript you save 30% – use ‘Fullscript30’ at checkout to save 30% on The Shop of Tools.
Protocol – Detoxification Support:
[Include any supplements that tune-up and help support digestive health]
Orthomolecular Products – Resvoxitrol
2 capsules, once per day
Get the power of plant nutrients including broccoli seed for glucoraphanin to support detoxification.
Gaia Herbs – Liver Cleanse
1 capsule, twice per day between meals for up to 3 to 4 months
For timed detoxification efforts (vs. ongoing support).
Om Organic Mushroom Nutrition – Chaga Mushroom Superfood Powder
1 teaspoon, once per day
Polyphenols to help combat free radicals.
Are you ready to recommend Better Detox Nutrition?
Don’t have your own business supplement store yet? The Better Nutrition Program Fullscript is available FREE for qualified practitioners here right now! Get a fully stocked store (with categories and favorite products from Better Nutrition Experts) that you can brand with your business and start to use immediately.
Exclusive to Fullscript Practitioners, The Better Nutrition Program is offering 15% off the Go Pro Membership when you use the Promo code Fullscript15 at checkout.