Super Immunity + Heart Health Olive Leaf Extract Capsules
2 capsules, once daily
Packed with olive leaf polyphenols shown to reduce cholesterol levels, (1)(2) Wellgrove Super Immunity + Heart Health capsules also provide protection for the immune system.
Super Antioxidant EVOO Liquid
2 tablespoons (30 mL), throughout the day for cooking and on salads
Extra Virgin Olive Oil is a great source of healthy monounsaturated fats, but it also contains a variety of bioactive compounds that have antiatherogenic effects. What’s more interesting is that high polyphenol content EVOO has been shown to be more effective at increasing HDL cholesterol levels in comparison to a low polyphenol EVOO, (4) so we know that it is important to select a high polyphenol oil, like Wellgrove Super Antioxidant EVOO Liquid, to realize maximal health benefits from EVOO.
500 mg, once daily
Niacin has been shown to improve the lipid profile, most especially by reducing triglycerides and increasing HDL cholesterol. Niacin is not the best choice for lowering LDL cholesterol, so this is something that should be kept in mind. Niacin can cause a flushing response, so using a controlled-release formula may be preferable if this side-effect is problematic. (5)(6)
Coenzyme Q10 (if taking a statin)
100 mg, twice daily
Statins are excellent pharmaceutical agents for improving the lipid profile and improving CVD outcomes, but they are not without side-effects. One of the worst side-effects of statins is muscle pain. Some research has shown that taking Coenzyme Q10 twice per day, at a small 100mg dose, can reduce some of the muscle pain and weakness that may result from using statin therapy. (7)
6 g, twice daily
Increasing the fiber content of the diet is often a key component of helping to improve the lipid profile, and there are specialty fibers that can be easily added to the diet to further enhance these benefits. SunFiber is a clinically studied form of guar gum, which is dietary fiber. The beautiful thing about guar gum is that it mixes really easily into water or even foods and is undetectable! Sunfiber has been shown to decrease LDL cholesterol and also to increase HDL cholesterol, so it is an excellent addition to a heart-healthy diet.
Supplemental materials have been provided by Wellgrove for the purpose of this protocol
- Adopt a Mediterranean Diet inspired eating pattern
- Incorporate a mix of strength training and cardiovascular fitness into your daily routine. A half hour per day can make a huge difference in helping to get your blood lipids under control.
- If you smoke, quit! Smoking cigarettes significantly increases your risk of heart disease.
- Keep up with your doctor’s appointments and blood work.
- Don’t get overwhelmed by feeling like you have so much work to do. Take it one day at a time because little changes really add up over time. Improving your health is worth it!
DisclaimerView protocol in-app
- Lockyer, S., Rowland, I., Spencer, J. P. E., Yaqoob, P., & Stonehouse, W. (2017). Impact of phenolic-rich olive leaf extract on blood pressure, plasma lipids and inflammatory markers: a randomised controlled trial. European journal of nutrition, 56(4), 1421-1432.
- Lockyer, S., Rowland, I., Spencer, J. P. E., Yaqoob, P., & Stonehouse, W. (2016). Impact of phenolic‑rich olive leaf extract on blood pressure, plasma lipids and inflammatory markers: a randomized controlled trial. European journal of nutrition, 56(4), 1421-1432. doi:10.1007/s00394-016-1188-y
- Magrone, T., Spagnoletta, A., Salvatore, R., Magrone, M., Dentamaro, F., Russo, M. A., . . . Jirillo, E. (2018). Olive Leaf Extracts Act as Modulators of the Human Immune Response. Endocrine, Metabolic & Immune Disorders – Drug Targets, 18(1), 85-93.
- Hernaez A, Fernandez-Castillejo S, Ferries M et al. Olive oil biophenols enhance high-density lipoprotein function in humans: a randomized controlled trial. Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology Journal of the American Heart Association. 2014;34:2115–9.
- McKenney J. New perspectives on the use of niacin in the treatment of lipid disorders. Arch Intern Med 2004;164:697-705.
- Guyton JR, Goldberg AC, Kreisberg RA, et al. Effectiveness of once-nightly dosing of extended-release niacin alone and in combination for hypercholesterolemia. Am J Cardiol 1998;82:737-43.
- Fedacko J, Pella D, Fedackova P, et al. Coenzyme Q(10) and selenium in statin-associated myopathy treatment. Can J Physiol Pharmacol 2013;91(2):165-70.
- Kapoor, M.P., Ishihara, N., & Ōkubo, T. (2016). Soluble dietary fibre partially hydrolysed guar gum markedly impacts on postprandial hyperglycaemia, hyperlipidaemia and incretins metabolic hormones over time in healthy and glucose intolerant subjects. Journal of Functional Foods, 24, 207-220.